Social media buzz and subsequent increase in sales of iThenticate
iThenticate is one of the leading professional plagiarism detection and prevention software,
by Turnitin, used by scholarly publishers and research institutions. The software is widely used
to ensure the originality of written work before it is published. But worldwide, many researchers
are still not used to check their content for plagiarism thinking for it to be original. There are
certainly chances for presence of unintended plagiarism with the existence so much information on the internet.
iThenticate through its social media platform wanted to spread awareness about the significance of plagiarism removal from academic documents.
Hence, through social media marketing, we at Social Media Marketz aimed to:
- Aware users about plagiarism and repercussions of its presence
- Enhance and spread the brand name across new users from different demographic regions
- Increase traffic to the website with the underlying objective to generate clients
- Use social media, especially Facebook and Twitter to engage with prospects and members of research community
Our approach towards the objective
In order to work towards the desired objective, we engaged into significant activities at Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus (G+).
- Being a large visual medium, Facebook was targeted reader’s attention through regular updates about plagiarism and allegations on non-compliance.
- Newsletter and blog post sharing on the profile page as well as in relevant groups
- A campaign was organised, in association with Turnitin, titled as the ‘Plagiarism Education Week’. For which, information and updates were posted on iThenticate’s FB profile to attract relevant audience.
- A free registration page was linked on the social media profiles, with regards to the mentioned campaign, to collect details of the prospective and interested users.
- The core objective was to present and explain the motive of the brand and how it would benefit the user.
- Twitter is the best medium for users who enjoy constant contact and expect to get updates in a brief and succinct manner.
- With 1 tweet and 1-2 re-tweets on daily basis, the account was made interactive.
- #plagiarism, #research, #fraud and similar hashtags were used for tweets.
- #integrity2015 was the hashtag created to promote the ‘Plagiarism Education Week’ campaign.
- Google plus is another emerging platform in social media, where we cross shared the updates from other social media pages.
- To promote the brand, posts were also shared about the parent company’s (Turnitin) education week campaign with relevant hashtag usage.
- Increased engagement on all three social media profiles
- Today, iThenticate’s Facebook profile has 5100+ people liking the service.
- The twitter profile showcases 840+ users following iThenticate.
- The followers section of iThenticate’s twitter account also counts to 1980+ users.
- The marketing strategies for Facebook, G+ and twitter ensured lead generation in multi-folds.
- The campaign gave a significant boost in lead generation, which significantly increased the sales of iThenticate by 30%.